Abraxas: The Santana Tribute
Saturday, November 16, 7:30 p.m.
Tickets: $25 in advance; $30 at door (SPPAC Members save 10-20%)
In Abraxas, six Vermont all-stars recreate the infectious, intricate rhythms, and the soulful, melodic guitar that define the legendary sound of Carlos Santana. Santana’s unique music crosses all boundaries and genres. Santana is one of the world’s best-selling groups of all time, with hits like Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, Samba Pa Ti, Europa, Evil Ways, and of course, Soul Sacrifice with the drum solo made famous at the Woodstock festival. It’s like getting a good dose of medicine for the soul.
The lineup of the Abraxas band is:
- Carlos Velez, percussion (Mogani, the Doughboys)
- Jeff Salisbury, percussion (New Nile Orchestra, Albert King, Cold Blood)
- Caleb Bronz, drums (Barika, Afinque, Prydien)
- Thom Carvey, bass (Keegan Nolan, Tammy Fletcher, The RetroFit)
- Cobey Gatos, Keyboards (Mogani, Greenbush with John Creech)
- Ken French, guitar (Ragged Glory, Mellow Yellow, The RetroFit)
Presented in collaboration with the Helen Day Arts Center’s Puente: an exhibition of Cuban Artists exhibit and other special presentations at the River Arts Center, and the Vermont Caribbean Institute.